Some “did you know” bits from the Rays courtesy of the club’s communication office:
- The Rays went 12-3-1 against AL East Opponents in Spring Training on their way to a league-best 20-8-2 record.
- Reid Brignac wa awarded the Al Lopez award as the top rookie in camp as he hit .359 with 18 RBI in March. Last year’s winner was Jeff Niemann so maybe that is a good sign.
- This is the 3rd time in five years the Orioles and Rays have started the season against one another; the Rays lost the previous two engagements 9-6 and 6-2.
- The Rays are 32-9 when playing in front of crowds greater than 30,000. Um, get your asses out to games as much as possible!
- The starting pitchers average age is 26.19 years old which is the 2nd youngest average age in all of baseball trailing only the Detroit Tigers at 25.95.
- The club’s overall average age is 28.56 years old which makes them the 6th youngest team in the league.
- Carl Crawford is the only player on the roster who was with the club the last time the club opened the season at home. I was at that game sitting 7 rows back in section 101 celebrating my new (and current) job.
- 15 members of the 25 man roster are under the age 0f 29.
- The Rays are 30-12 against Baltimore since 8/28/2007.
- James Shields will be facing the Orioles for the 16th time in his career. He is 6-2 with a 2.92 ERA against them lifetime.
- The home opener is finally a sellout! Still plenty of tickets left for Joe Maddon Glasses night on Wednesday so get some while they gettin’ is good!