Unless the Rays rally against arguably the best bullpen in all of baseball, Wade Davis will drop his fourth straight contest in the month of June. At this point, one has to ask what a pitcher like Wade Davis is doing taking a regular turn in the rotation of a team trying to contend for the divisional title. He has now given up 33 baserunners in just 19.2 June innings and has now served up 16 earned runs which simply does not put the team in a position to win no matter how well or poorly the offense may perform on a given night. He has failed to pitch more than five innings in four of his last six starts which has put an extra strain on the bullpen who has performed admirably despite the extra work. The only positives in June is that he has not yet allowed a home run and has a 16 to 6 strikeout out to walk rate but that is where the compliments end. On the season, Davis now:
- Has one of the eight worst FIPs in baseball
- Has one of the 20 worst ERAs of all starting pitchers in baseball
- Has the 8th worst home run rate of all starting pitchers in baseball
- Has one of the 30 worst strikeout to walk ratios of all starting pitchers in baseball
- Has one of the 20 worst baserunners per nine measures of all starting pitchers in baseball
- Has one of the 20 worst walk rates of all starting pitchers in baseball
That’s the type of pitcher that takes the ball every fifth day for an also ran team, not for one that is trying to contend for a playoff spot. He is a big part of the reason why this pitching staff is now giving up more runs than the offense is scoring per game in this 10-15 (possibly 10-16) run the club is on since being swept by the Red Sox in May. Meanwhile, Jeremy Hellickson continues to throw extremely well in AAA Durham as he has one of the best ERAs in the league at 2.33 and is in the top ten for baserunners per nine, strikeouts, and the best strikeout to walk rate in the entire league. It is time to make the switch so Davis can go down and figure out where things have gone wrong because what is going on now is not doing anything to help the club.